A MAP of the most INHABITED part of VIRGINIA
containing the whole PROVINCE of MARYLAND with Part of PENSILVANIA, NEW JERSEY AND NORTH CAROLINA
The Map Makers
As the Virginia Colony expanded westward in the mid-1700s, a map of the territory was needed because the French also laid claim to the Ohio Valley. The Virginia Governor commissioned Peter Jefferson and Joshua Fry, experienced surveyors who had earlier surveyed the lands of Lord Fairfax, to prepare such a map. Jefferson and Fry relied on their own surveys and experiences to supplement existing published maps, manuscript maps, and field notes. They created a detailed rendering of the waterways, mountains, counties, settlements, and prominent plantations in the colony. Thomas Jefferys, a prolific publisher and engraver, and geographer to the Prince of Wales, engraved the map, which was published in 1753.
The Jefferson-Fry Map became the definitive map of Virginia in the 18th Century. The map showed the route of “The Great Road from the Yadkin River through Virginia to Philadelphia distant 455 Miles”—what would later come to be known as the Great Wagon Road, as well as the Philadelphia Waggon Road that ran through Shepherdstown.