49. Christ Reformed Church

S side of E German St., just beyond the N&W Railroad tracks. The German Reformed congregation built this church in 1839 on the site used by the German Reformed congregation since its organization about 1780. Its graveyard (still used) was established in 1774 and contains graves of Revolutionary War soldiers and patriots. A square tower of native stone, part of an earlier stone church built in 1798, rises at the back of the building surmounted by a steeple and belfry. The belfry contains three bells imported from Germany a few years after the Revolution by Michael Yeasley, a Revolutionary soldier. The largest bell contains the engraved date 1732 and “Rouen,” suggesting French manufacture.