S side of E New St, between King and Princess Sts. The long two-story building has been called Stone Row for generations. Built in the early 1790s, it began as Philip Shutt’s Brewhouse. Irish workingmen building the C&O Canal in the 1830s enjoyed “Shutt’s Cream Beer.”
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud bts4hsm contributed a whooping 132 entries.
Entries by bts4hsm
SE Corner of New and Princess Sts. One of the two public schoolhouses in town built by the state of Virginia in 1848, it continues to serve the cause of education as office space for Shepherd University professors. It is believed to be the oldest free schoolhouse in West Virginia.
SE corner of Princess and German Sts. Owner J. Matt Tolliver seems to have been the downtown area’s first successful black businessman. His name appears in the town records during the years 1877 to 1908. After his popular restaurant burned in 1894, he built this brick building, where he ran a hotel and ice cream […]
SW corner Princess and E German Sts. A large brick structure and residence from the early 1800s to the 1880s. Resident families included three generations of the Reinhart family, then the Line family. From 1854 until his death in 1858, it was the home of the Honorable Henry Bedinger, the first U.S. Ambassador to Denmark. […]
NE corner of German and Princess Sts. In 1906 Jefferson Security Bank removed an older brick building from this site and erected the current structure, a modified Beaux Arts style building. When the bank moved in 1975, new owners converted the old bank into a restaurant.
The Entler and its lovely garden are a favorite spot for weddings, parties and other events. Historic Shepherdstown & Museum is a Colonial landmark, built in 1786. The house just to the west of the building burned down in 1912, but the foundation remains and has been transformed into the lovely stone wall of the […]
203 E German St, adjacent to the Yellow Brick Bank. A complex of three structures built for the Shepherd family as a town home, including a small rectangular brick building (which served as a doctor’s office from c. 1850 to 1890), a carriage house (converted into a tea room and tourist inn c.1920), and a […]
204 E German St, opposite the Gray Lodge. A log cabin owned by Martin Entler housed a tavern on this site as early as 1769. In 1781 Cornelius Wynkoop acquired the tavern. Here, some alleged, steamboat builder John Fitch stayed while spying on James Rumsey’s experiments. Wynkoop erected the present brick structure c.1791. During the […]
207 E German St. Built in 1865 by Dr. John Reynolds who served the town as a doctor for more than 40 years. As town mayor 1860 to 1862 he had to deal with a dangerous situation when unknown persons on the Shepherdstown side fired at Union pickets across the river, drawing a protest and […]
213 E German St. Town records list the poorhouse as early as 1805. Here, following Elizabethan tradition, the town provided a modicum of care for the poor and elderly. Though it began as a log house, it has been enlarged and covered with wooden siding. Iron rings in the attic rafters suggest that some of […]