1734 – Thomas Shepherd Survey Plat
Robert Brooke surveyed the 222 acres of the Thomas Shepherd land grant in April of 1734. Brooke measured the parcel starting on the southwest side of the “Cohongoloo” (today’s Potomac) River, where a white oak tree on a hill was marked with six notches and inscribed TS. The boundaries were measured in poles, approximately 16.5 feet in length. Other notations indicate the number of poles and the direction of the boundary line. The Falling Spring Branch of the Potomac River, which traverses the area, would eventually power mills on the Shepherd lands. The survey is signed Robert Brooke, SEC (Surveyor Essex County). In October of that same year, Shepherd received his land grant from the British Crown. The written description of his land, along with the hand-drawn map, was recorded in the Spotsylvania and Orange Counties Survey book, 1732 November 23 — 1734 December 31.