Map of Jefferson County, Va.
photographed for the Bureau of Topographical Engineers Oct., 1862
Map courtesy of the Library of Congress.
This map, attributed to S. Howell Brown, is a monochrome version of his 1852 Map of Jefferson County Virginia. Described as a sun print, the map was drawn by Brown while serving as a topographical engineer on the staff of Confederate Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson.
As a tactical tool, the map locates and names the principal towns and villages in Jefferson County, as well as the roads, turnpikes, ferries, fords, railroads, and bridges that provided access to the county.
As the 1852 map does, farm boundaries are accurately displayed as well as the name of the landowner in 1862.
The October 1862 map was likely used following the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, and in the attack on Charles Town in October 1863, and the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign.