Font from the Christ Reformed United Church of Christ, Shepherdstown
The Christ Reformed United Church of Christ, on East German St., just beyond the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks, was founded in 1747 and is one of the oldest houses of worship in Shepherdstown. The current structure dates from 1839.
The church was enlarged and refurbished in 1881. Samuel P. Humrickhouse, a local architect, was responsible for the design and construction of the church’s furnishings, including the altar, pulpit, reading stand, chairs, and the baptismal font. The furnishings were all made of walnut and cost some $3,000, a hefty sum in those days. Parishioners contributed to fund the new furnishings and money for the font was raised by the church’s Sunday School children. Mr. Humrickhouse donated the collection plates.
Inscribed across the hexagonal capital or top of the font are the words: One Faith, One Life, One Baptism. Atop the wooden pilar is a marble bowl that holds the baptismal water. Humrickhouse was active in town politics and designed several homes in the area. He was also responsible for an 1890 plat map of Shepherdstown that is in the Museum’s collection.
The church closed in January 2023 and the building taken over by the Contemporary American Theater Festival organization.