Begins north of the High St—King St intersection. A campus map is displayed on the grounds of Knutti Hall at 102 E High St.
on N side of High St, midway between King and Princess Sts. Allegedly an 18th century structure, it has been said to date to as early as 1770 or as late as 1793. Built of logs and now clad in wood siding, it is the last survivor of several similar structures of early vintage that once lined the north side of High Street in this block. After their home on German St. burned in the 1912 fire, Annetta “Nettie” Entler and her son Frederick Weltzheimer moved into the house. Local tradition has it that the ghost of a murdered cobbler haunted the building. In 1925, the state acquired the property for the use of Shepherd College. For a time home economics classes and college organizations met here.
SE corner of German and King Sts. Also known as the Men’s Club Building. Built in 1868 to house the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, it was the first substantial building on the eastern half of the block. Until then a large tannery occupied the entire area. Just before World War I, Pearl S. Buck’s uncle served as pastor of the church. In 1940, the Methodists reunited at the New Street Methodist Church. The Shepherdstown Men’s Club purchased the property in 1947 and named it the War Memorial Building. The club, now called the Community Club, holds its dinners and meetings here and makes its large meeting rooms available for many community activities.
just west of War Memorial Building, in the middle of King Street. This area served as a market space beginning in the mid 1700s. The town built the market house in 1800, placing the whipping post and public hog pen on the south end. Offenders of town ordinances suffered public punishment. Hogs running loose could be seized for public auction. In 1845 the International Order of Odd Fellows added the second story in exchange for a 999-year lease. After the town market closed in 1854, the town enclosed the stalls with brick exterior walls, and the building became a firehouse. It also served from time to time as council chambers, private school, and meat market. In 1926, the Shepherdstown Women’s Club obtained permission to use the building as a library, sharing the premises for some years with the town jail. The Shepherdstown Library, Inc. had the Odd Fellows’ 999 year lease voided in 1962. A unique characteristic of the building remains the Odd Fellows’ symbol of the Seeing Eye, peering at passersby from a semi-circular niche above the front door. Some say the eye moves.
SW corner of King and German Sts. Was used as a general store or grocery store from the early 1800s until the late 1980s. During the antebellum era local militia organizations used the brick double house attached to the rear of the building as a meeting and drill room. Following the battle of Antietam (September 17, 1862) wounded men were carried to the second floor, one of the main surgeries pressed into action in the emergency. Contemporary accounts reported amputated limbs being thrown from upper windows into waiting wagons. Here also Joseph McMurran, who was to become the first principal of Shepherd, had his private schoolroom after the Civil War.
NW corner of German and King Sts. One of the oldest buildings in town, it is located on Town Lot No. 1. Three generations of the Sheetz family manufactured guns and stocks here from before the American Revolution to c.1830s. The gun shop was in a structure behind the Sheetz building facing King Street. From c.1810 to 1821 the family also maintained a tavern. The brick building held the saloon, the adjacent stucco house contained the dining room, and the living quarters were upstairs. William Sheetz manufactured gun stocks for the armory at Harpers Ferry. After the armory was destroyed during the Civil War, Sheetz used the left over gun stocks to build a picket fence.
119 W German St. The oldest general store location in town, it began as Morris and Brown’s general store in 1804 and continued for the next 158 years. Among the long-time proprietors, the Tabler family occupied this building from 1922 to 1962. It also contained the US Post Office 1823-1853.
122 W German St. A large limestone dwelling built in 1790 by German-born Revolutionary War veteran Michael Yeasley, it predates most of the brick buildings. Here Yeasley operated a mercantile store. He owned other properties, both town lots and farm lands. With his first wife (probably named Madgalena), Yeasley had seven daughters. He was a stalwart of the German Reformed Church. The narrow building wedged between the Yeasley House and the next brick house was the law office of the Honorable Henry Bedinger, poet, congressman, diplomat and one of the town’s leading lights of the mid-19th century.
126 W German St. Abutting Bedinger’s law office, it was Lindsey’s Tavern in 1800. By the mid 1800s it had become the site of the flourishing general store of John McEndree.
131 W German St. The Opera House replaced a one hundred year old building in 1909. Here moving pictures were shown continuously until 1956. Thirty-five years later, after extensive renovation, it reopened as a movie theater. It is currently used as a venue for both film and live music.