https://i0.wp.com/historicshepherdstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/31-New-St-United-Methodist-Church.jpg?fit=760%2C428&ssl=1 428 760 bts4hsm https://historicshepherdstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/hsc_logo_dummy.png bts4hsm2015-11-10 20:48:412016-09-26 14:10:0631. New Street United Methodist Church
31. New Street United Methodist Church
SW corner of New and Church Sts. The original building, constructed of wood, also stood here, but burned in 1854, leading to its replacement by the current brick structure. Differences over slavery caused a split in the Methodist Church in the antebellum era, and the Northern Methodists retained control of the building. In 1868, Southern Methodists built what is now known as the War Memorial Building on German Street. Northern and Southern Methodists reunited in 1940 at the New Street site.