||Thomas Shepherd conveyed Lot No. 33 (Entler Hotel Corner) to Henry Cookus, who willed it to his son Christian.
||Christian Cookus sold the west part of the lot to Philip Adam Entler, Sr. who built a large brick dwelling house upon it. In 1912, the house was destroyed by fire.
- The foundation still stands, and accommodates the "Evie Van Ryzin Memorial Garden."
||Christian Cookus erected a two-story brick building that now houses the Historic Shepherdstown Museum. He also built a two-story brick building, with a porch entrance, facing Princess Street. Both structures were used as dwellings.
- Daniel Bedinger bought the remaining portion of Lot No. 33.
||Daniel Bedinger constructed a brick three-story building on the vacant portion of the lot. It butted against the museum building and adjoined the Princess Street building.
- He now owned all of the "hotel" property.
||James Brown leased the buildings from the Bedinger family. He opened a store in the corner room on the first floor of the corner building.
About this time the Globe Tavern started operation in the museum building. This is the first indication of a tavern offering overnight accommodations. The saloon and kitchen were in the cellar, and the dining room was on the first floor of the museum building. The Princess Street entrance opened into the Hotel lobby.
||James Brown still operated his store, but rented out the Globe Tavern. Thus began a succession of Globe Tavern operators.
- Town elections and Trustee (town council) meetings were held at the tavern for a number of years.
||Daniel Bedinger sold the hotel property to James Brown and Edward Lucas for $6,000.
||James Brown sold the property to Thomas Crown, of Washington City, for $4,000, and continued operating the store in the corner room.
- Thomas James operated the tavern and Daniel Entler, grandson of Philip Entler, Sr. was manager of the hotel
||Daniel Entler bought a brick stable, on the north side of the alley behind the hotel building.
- This became the livery stable for the hotel. It was torn down ca. 1920s.
||Daniel Entler became the proprietor of the entire complex containing twenty-four rooms, nineteen fireplaces, three cellars and three kitchens.
- Until the 1850, it was known as Daniel Entler's Tavern or Daniel Entler's Hotel. The name was then shortened to Entler's Hotel.
||Daniel Entler, his wife Margaret, and six unmarried children lived in the Entler House -- at the west end of the lot.
- Permanent occupants of the hotel included: a storekeeper, a deputy sheriff, 5 carpenters, 2 blacksmiths, 2 stonemasons, 2 physicians and a cabinetmaker.
- The operation of the hotel was turned over to Daniel's son, J.P.A. Enter.
||The Entler Hotel suffered great financial loss during the War Between the States.
- It served as a hospital after the Battle of Antietam (September 17, 1862), and as a Union billet for most of the remainder of the war.
||J.P.A. Entler moved to Piedmont, WV.
- Although the Entler family still owned the property, no Entler would ever again be associated with its operation.
- The hotel had numerous operators during the next four decades.
||The corner grocery store closed and the room was converted into living quarters.
||Fire destroyed the Entler house (the memorial garden area).
||The hotel property was sold at public auction for $8,000.
||After a year of restoration the hotel was opened again.
- The name was changed to the Hotel Rumsey.
||The hotel closed for the last time and the space was rented as apartments.
||Shepherd College acquired the hotel and the old Entler house lot.
- The building was converted into a men's dormitory and in 1929 was renamed Rumsey Hall.
||Used as quarters for U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force cadets taking preliminary training at Shepherd College.
||Converted to Shepherd College faculty apartments.
||The building became a storage warehouse.
||The Historic Shepherdstown Commission organized to prevent the Entler Hotel from being demolished.
||The property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
||The property was acquired by the town of Shepherdstown from the State of West Virginia.
||The building was again named the Entler Hotel and the organization, "Historic Shepherdstown," began its restoration.
||THE RESTORATION CONTINUES.
Researched by: James C. Price (1995) and Don C. Wood (1997)