SE corner, Princess and High Sts. The site of Getzendanner’s mill in late 1790s, the current structure on the corner dates to 1920 and exemplifies the architectural style of service stations in the early automobile age. The front part has been enclosed and the pumps have been removed. The two houses abutting the former service […]
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud bts4hsm contributed a whooping 133 entries.
Entries by bts4hsm
109-113 N Princess St. A combination brick and clapboard building. Here, according to local lore, in November, 1790, Nathaniel Willis published the Potowmak Guardian and Berkeley Advertiser, the first newspaper in what is now West Virginia. Willis had participated in the Boston Tea Party of 1773. Between 1795 and 1823 first Frederick Weltzheimer and then […]
W side of Princess St. between German and High Sts. Built in1929 as a Shepherd College teacher training project largely through the efforts of education professor Florence Shaw. The farm includes a small limestone cottage in full detail, near the street. Behind the house and across Town Run is a miniature dairy barn. At one […]
101 N Princess St, adjacent to Yellow Brick Bank. Built in the late 1790s in the Federal style, this was the in-town residence and law office of the Hon. Thomas Van Swearingen, Esq. from 1817 until his death in 1822. He spent his summers at Bellevue, the family estate outside of town on Shepherd Grade […]
The Friends of the Shepherdstown Riverfront has disbanded as of Spring 2015. Much has been accomplished at the Mecklenberg Warehouse to stabilize and restore the building. The Corporation of Shepherdstown can now take the next steps to continue the upgrades and to find a suitable use for the building.
This website will no longer be updated or monitored. Historic materials concerning the Warehouse have been transferred to the Historic Shepherdstown Commission. Many people deserve credit for the work that has been accomplished at the Warehouse including: Jim and Ann Ludwig, Diana Suttenfield, Shep Scott, Richard Jentsch, Fran Cox, Davitt McAteer, Dale Walter, Bob Reynolds, Keith Alexander, Tom Conant, Mina Goodrich, Tyra Guyton, Meredith Wait, Linda Shea, Eddie Sampson, Alan Levitan, Amanda Whitmore, Steve Ayraud, Corporation of Shepherdstown staff and the many Shepherdstown area residents who donated money to the restoration of the building.
| April 9, 2015 |
The tank and piping removal work at the Warehouse is complete and a new floor has been installed. Photo below also shows prototype kayak racks in place.
For additional photos see the Warehouse Renovation Gallery.
| August 25, 2015 |
Work to prepare Shepherdstown’s historic Tobacco Warehouse for adoptive re-use continued in August, 2014 as Conservit, Inc. donated its labor to remove steel tanks, pumps, and valves from the warehouse. This was an important step in efforts to make the warehouse available as a paddle boat storage facility in 2014.
The photo shows Billy Grove from the Corporation of Shepherdstown with Conservit employees working on the project on August 6, 2014.
For more photos see the Warehouse Renovation Gallery.
| August 25, 2014 |
FOSR member Tyra Guyton has completed the report of the waterworks operations at the warehouse from the 1920’s thru the 1970’s. The report includes photos of the equipment and excerpts from interviews with former employees at the facility.
| July 11, 2013 |
The Friends of the Shepherdstown Riverfront are having an open house at the historic Mecklenburg Tobacco Warehouse on Saturday May 18, 2013. The building is located on the banks of the Potomac River at the north end of Princess Street in Shepherdstown. Several preservation projects have recently been completed at the warehouse and this is a rare opportunity to see inside the building. Docents will be available 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM to discuss the many uses the building has had through the years.
| May 9, 2013 |
New video of the warehouse posted. Circa 2007 courtesy of Clai Lashley.
| April 8, 2013 |